Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Oprah...she ain't got nothin' on me!

I just read that Oprah claims to have experienced racism in Paris a few days ago. Everyone knows that black people experience racism on a daily basis, but Oprah's "racism" stemmed from the fact that the evil people at Hermes dept. store wouldn't let her in to shop after they were closed for the day. Poor Oprah...they told her she had to come back when they were open! Those heartless fuckers! Well, I'm right there with you Oprah. I can't believe they treated you like one of the common petty assholes who don't have a billion dollars to their name!

On a similar note, I'll relate a story of subtle racism that happens to me nearly every damn day. In Japan, travel agents and other advertisers often visit schools, and I would say that on any given day, there are at least two to three visitors in the building peddling their wares. They make it a point to stop by every desk in the teachers' office, and give a flyer for their product and their business card. Even if the teacher isn't sitting at his/her desk, they get a flyer and a card.

Now, that's all fine and good, and as long as I'm not sitting at my desk, I also get a flyer and a card. But when I am sitting there, they will do their utmost to ignore me, no matter the cost. They will sometimes say hello to me as they pass me to place a card on the desks on either side of me, but will never stop to give me any of the info they're giving out.

Today, the travel agent came in, and as he was passing out his flyers to everyone but me, and talking about travel rates with everyone but me, I was giving him the stare of death (you get a little sick of this shit after three years of dealing with it daily). He notices my stare, and notices that I'm reading a Japanese novel in the language that he speaks, walks over to me, says hello, holds up a flyer for his company, and asks everyone "I wonder if he can read this..." I just looked at him like I wanted to destroy his body. He placed the flyer on the table near me (no card, and no conversation), and starts immediately speaking to the teacher next to me about whether she has any plans or not.

So I just crumpled the paper into a ball, chucked it into the basket in front of him, and stalked off with my book to look for a more pleasant place to read. I guess I can say that Oprah's story is a little more dramatic than mine, but she definitely ain't got nothin' on my black ass!

Oh, and yesterday, one of the ALTs called my website racist. I thought that was pretty funny!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn i wich i actaully knew enough japanese to fuck with the fuckers....

who called your website racist?

10 July, 2005 20:03  
Blogger spookydonkey said...

I can't reveal the name of my antagonist on the open channels. I will tell all in my upcoming book, "tales of a wagon-burning KKK Wizard." It'll be out in the spring of '07, so look for it on shelves all over Japan!

Spooky D.

11 July, 2005 08:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home