Tuesday, June 21, 2005

If you're born with it, you can't shake it.

J-ness, that is. By now, unless you've been living in a cave (or on Io-jima), you must've heard about the new fashion wave (sparked by Koizumi's [albeit misguided] attempts to lower greenhouse gases) sweeping Japan, Cool Biz! Gone are the days when salary men all dressed in identical coats and ties, swooped down on the public transport system, and were sped off to work, all with identical Agent Smith-type faces, like a scene out of The Matrix. Yes, we've seen the last of the business suits during the sweltering summer months in Japan. We're entering a brave new world...or are we?

I stopped by the Kanoya City Hall on the first day of the all-new Cool Biz! affair to see how it would go down in the ass-crack of Japan. I walked into the BOE, and Lo and Behold! The entire office was jacket- and tie-less! "I must be seeing things!" I said to myself (and to anyone who would listen). They don't just break with tradition so easily in the South, you see.

I was soon to have my fears realized though, as the people in the office all had a meeting to attend. Just before the meeting, they all faithfully donned there ties and jackets, and with beads of sweat popping on their foreheads, went off to their meeting.

Why? Here's the answer I received: In the office, it's okay, but when you have a meeting with someone from outside the office, it's rude to not put on your best face. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if the entire outside world knows of Japan's new Cool Biz! thing, wouldn't you think the local populace would also know about, and respect it? I mean, for fuck's sake, wouldn't you take off your coat if the thermostat was fixed at 82 degrees?!?

Just goes to show that if you're born with it, you can't shake it. By the way, everyone I spoke with agreed taht it was idiotic for them to put their jackets and ties on just to meet with someonE, but would NEVER DREAM of not doing it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home