Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Yeah, well it's time to go...

"I'm going to be sad when you go, Spooky D," she said with tears in her eyes. It was then that I realized that I wasn't going to be sad at all. Certainly, there are aspects of this country that I'll miss - the mountains, the sea, hiking, biking, swimming, teabagging...but for chrissakes, I will certainly not be missing the shithole that I call my workplace!

The three years of my life I have utterly wasted on this job - I'll never get them back. Man, I coulda been somebody by now! And the lack of respect at this worthless job is mindblowing. At first, I worked as diligently as a man could, trying to help out around the school, volunteering for after-school programs, etc. But then it slowly dawned on me that nobody has any respect for the ALT here. Oh, sure...the parents treat you nicely...even reverently blowing me a time or two, but the teachers! The TEACHERS!!

I couldn't imagine the type of job in the states where you import someone to teach their language to your students, and then NOT include them in anything academic at all! I've never been invited to a single English teachers meeting in all my years. Not once. Today, my supervising teacher allowed me to sort through the new English textbooks they'll be choosing to use for the next school year. I was allowed to sort them for the teachers meeting that was to be held later in the day. The one when I asked him if I could help with the selection, he said..."ahhh, you know, we're just gonna be talking in Japanese, so you might as well not bother."

Well of course not. Why would my input count for anything? Why would they need a native speaker to judge the merits of the textbooks they're choosing? That wouldn't make sense. Then again, it really doesn't matter at all. You see, Japanese textbooks ALL suck, so no matter which one they choose, it's gonna be horrible.

But that's not all. I think another big reason I want out so bad is the lack of any sort of English education in the English classrooms here. The teachers speak not a word of it in the class. The students aren't expected to speak a word of it back to them. After class, the teachers wouldn't dream of speaking to their students in anything other than Japanese. That would be in-fucking-SANE!! And then they all have the nerve to complain that they never get a chance to speak English, and that's why they are so fukken shitty at it! Hah! Bunch of MORONS here on a lark (as my friend BBM says)!

No sir, she's gonna miss me, but my answer to her was as follows:

"Yeah, well it's time for me to go!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home