Monday, July 18, 2005

Ahahaha! Ha...heh. ahem...

Classes are finished for me. Everybody knows that. I said it before. So you all know. However, I still have some official duties and parties to attend before they throw my ass outta here. Anyway, last friday I visited Higashihara Elementary School for the last time. They were throwing me a farewell party, so I had to attend (was gonna take vacation and make my 3-day weekend a 4-day weekend, but...).

Okay, so I got to the school, and we went into the gym, which was probably about 130 degrees or so. I don't know, but it was 34 degrees outside, so it had to be at least 38-40 up in that bitch! I was sweating buckets, and I had to stand close to the kiddies for pictures and stuff (see the archives for stories of me sweating, and how I don't like to be touched by kids), and I think they were dragging it out on purpose. Anyway, it was a nice ceremony, with many kids giving me presents (which made it nicer), some of which will make for good omiyage when I get back home!

But the subject of this entry is "Ahahaha! Ha...heh. ahem...," and therefore you must be wondering what in the hell was so goddam funny. Well, I'll tell you. As the principal was blustering away, giving his final farewell speech, and just generally taking up time so that nobody would have any down time between classes, there came a loud machine-gun-like sound from the front of the students. The principal was stopped in his tracks, and everybody in the gym began to duck and cover, as we all assumed it was a terrorist attack on this little mountain school.

But as the arms came away from people's heads, and the smoke cleared, we all realized (too late) that we should've run for it, because the cause of the disturbance was none other than a little girl whom I'll call "Stinky" from now until the day I die. She sat looking around innocently, as if nothing had happened, til the kid sitting next to her started hitting her and yelling "Kusai! Kusai!!" That's the J-word for "stinky," if you didn't know. Well, Stinky just sat there like a little trooper, and weathered the storm of insults from her friend. He did stop hitting her for awhile, as he had to cover his nose for a couple minutes. Then I think she may have threatened him with another one, because he stopped hitting her.

The best part about the whole event was when the principal just stopped reading, and stood with his mouth open for about three seconds before regaining his composure. I let out a short laughing burst, which I quickly stifled, and I know the rest of the teachers were about to retch from trying to hold it in. What a great way to end my career in Japan!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home